This is a great question asked by many of our patients!
Unfortunately, there is not always a simple answer, but here is some info to help recognise some symptoms of gum disease.
Here is a simple checklist:
- Are your gums red, tender or swollen?
- Has there been a change in how you bite?
- Is your gum line uneven when you smile?
- Is pus visible when you press on your gums?
- Is your mouth often dry or burning?
- Do your gums bleed when you floss or brush your teeth?
- Do you have bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth?
- Can you wiggle one or more of your teeth with your tongue or fingers?
- Do your teeth appear to be getting longer?
- Are there spaces between your teeth where there were none before?
- Has there been a change in how your partial denture fits?
- Are the roots of your teeth exposed and sensitive to hot or cold?
If you have experiences one or more of these symptoms; have you discussed this with your dentist?
Download and print this simple checklist for yourself or someone you know.