This is a great question asked by many of our patients!
Unfortunately, there is not always a simple answer, but here is some info to help recognise some symptoms of gum disease.
Here is a simple checklist:
- Are your gums red, tender or swollen?
- Has there been a change in how you bite?
- Is your gum line uneven when you smile?
- Is pus visible when you press on your gums?
- Is your mouth often dry or burning?
- Do your gums bleed when you floss or brush your teeth?
- Do you have bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth?
- Can you wiggle one or more of your teeth with your tongue or fingers?
- Do your teeth appear to be getting longer?
- Are there spaces between your teeth where there were none before?
- Has there been a change in how your partial denture fits?
- Are the roots of your teeth exposed and sensitive to hot or cold?
If you have experiences one or more of these symptoms; have you discussed this with your dentist?
Download and print this simple checklist for yourself or someone you know.
Dr Craig Duval is committed to the highest standards of care for his patients through actively participating in professional development. Since 2003, Craig has attended over 200 hours of continuing education every year. Learn more